Elephant in the haunted castle
Leo The Last (2015)
Latymer Mapping Project (2013)
Pedal Power (2010)
Set up by in 1924 as a charitable organisation, The North Kensington Women's Welfare Centre was the third birth control clinic established in England. It had the aim of giving contraceptive services to working women as this was then only available from private doctors. By the 1950’s it had become a super-clinic, offering many services not available on the newly formed NHS. Re-named as the North Kensington Women’s Welfare Centre it would become the most important and high-profile family planning clinic in England with an international reputation.
Dr Helena Wright and Dr Joan Malleson both worked at the Centre for over twenty years. They played a major role in the development of family planning, abortion rights and sex education.
In 1974 the clinic was handed over to the NHS along with 1000 other Family Planning Association clinics.
The long duration of the clinic reflected changes in British Society: the status of women, the revolution heralded by the introduction of the Pill and a more ethnically diverse community.
A screenplay and series of drawings based on the North Kensington family planning clinic.